Pages

Friday, November 19, 2010

No Braces!!!



Hey folks!


Well, the news of the hour or day or week...I have my braces off! I had them for exactly one year.  I am so thankful to have them off, and I am so thankful that my teeth are so nice and straight. A great big "Thank-you" to my parents!!!

Here's my story of the day...

Driving in Detroit and all of the sudden realizing that your gas tank is below empty is not a good feeling. I had to get off the express-way in a really bad neighborhood...the first gas station I stopped at was out of gas. So, I drove a little further and stopped at another station. The building looked like an old block garage and the windows were stuffed with plastic bags... I could even see into the building there were so many bags! Thankfully this one had gas, and I was able to get some and continue on my merry way. My cousin was nearly is tears she was so scared and was like "Emily, everyone is looking at us..."...my response "every one looks at us when we drive a car like this..."

 


I thanked the Lord for keeping us safe!







Hope that you all have a great weekend!!!!


-Emily

2 comments:

  1. Yikes, totally would not want to run out of gas near Detroit! My one and only Detroit visit was kind of dramatic too. Terry had gotten a gift certificate for a free Turkey from his work--only catch was we had to pick it up from a store in Detroit. (The store was near where he had grown up, but he hadn't been in the nieghborhood since he left home when he was 16--at the time it wasn't a particularly bad neighborhood). So anyway, we are driving down streets that are filled with garbage and run down houses. It is January, so not many people on the streets. We have a hard time finding the store. I'm getting more and nervous, and just when we decide we will turn around and forget
    the turkey, we see the store.
    I ran in and grabbed the turkey. Just as I am coming out of the store, several people burst out of a house only 50 feet away, they are yelling, a few are waving hand guns. Several shots are fired. We didn't see anyone actually get hurt, and I jumped in the car and Terry speeded away.
    The problem with Detroit seems to be lots of inocent people get killed by stray bullets. I'm not very keen on going back there after my experience.

    Maybe if you are going with someone who knows which nieghborhoods to stay out of, it be okay, though...

    Congratulations on getting your braces off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, that sounds even scarier than my story! I wasn't too scared, but I'm glad that you weren't hit by a stray bullet! I agree with what you said. I think that a lot of people there are innocent, they all seem so hopeless too...It's sad that such a great city has become so deteriorated. I have driven through some other areas with my uncle and cousin, and it's still scary, even though they knew the area. You don't really like stopping at traffic lights, because people approach your car...

    ReplyDelete