Pages

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Day 6. A moment I wish I could relive.

Boy, I am having a hard time with this one. I feel like there are so many moments that I have had that were wonderful, and that I didn't really take the opportunity to enjoy them. I always wanted the next "big thing". There are also moments from when I was young that I wish I could remember more clearly... 
 I guess one thing that I remember from when I was young, that I wish I could do again would be this:


Almost every day when I was younger,I remember my dad would come home from work. Around the time we knew he would be coming up the road, someone would be posted at the window to watch for him. As soon as someone spotted him(and the weather permitted) everyone would run down the driveway to meet him, then we would all pile into his car and he would drive us up the driveway then we would all hop out of the car and have big group hugs. It was a very special thing. Now my younger siblings do the same thing when I come home.
 Another thing I did when he would come home at night was I'd run up to him, grab his hands and jump, he would hoist me up and onto his shoulders in one motion. I'd then twist myself around and flip backwards off of his shoulders and onto the ground. I was around 4 or 5, but I remember it so clearly and I loved doing it. Sometimes I wish that I was little and could do it again (just once), or pretend that I was "stuck" in-between a space next to our washer and the wall. No amount of tugging from my brothers could free me from that spot. My daddy had to come to my rescue. (Am I silly?)


Maybe, I guess the moments I could relive was when all of us children were living at home, and we were so happy together(we still are happy-just not together). At this moment the 4 oldest are all in various countries and places, and it would be so nice to eat dinner-all of us together and then gather around and read a bed-time story. I am thankful that we are serving the Lord in the different places that He has called us, but sometimes I just miss my family...and maybe reading between the lines of this post...you can tell that I am missing them tonight. 


"I love you Smithies...Daddy, I wish I could get a big hug right now, and Momma, sit next to you on the couch and rest my head on your shoulder...I would love to have everyone busy around me and listen to their laughter and silly stories. I would love to have everyone gather around at the end of the day and share their "happy things" and then pray before we went to bed. I love you all and am praying for you."


Well, folks...that is my post of the day. Maybe it doesn't really fit the requirement for the title, but...here you go.


Saying all that, I am very content in the place that God has called me, and I am truly making it my one of top priorities to make the most of every minute, every day for truly "there is a wonder in the here and now". 

4 comments:

  1. Emily,

    This is a really sweet post, and it evokes a host of warm and wonderful memories for me. I, like you, have been so blessed to be a part of this "little family", and too often take that blessing for granted. Thank you for taking the time to stop and remember, and share your memories with us. I too miss the family meals with everyone gathered around the table, and look forward to the time that we can all be together again.

    Thanks again for this post. It did my heart good! :)

    ~neea

    ReplyDelete
  2. How absolutely beautiful Emily! I often recall my moments with family as being some of the best times I recall. When I think of things I'd like to relive it always involves people that mean the most to me and how I was bonded to them. You are such a wise spirit for being a young adult. Glad to know you. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post! God bless your family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Emily, I loved this post. You did a great job writing it. It have to admit that it made me cry.

    ReplyDelete